GMI is always looking for motivated and qualified people to join our team. Positions that are open for consideration on an ongoing basis are Food Service Worker/Mess Attendant and Cook. For more detailed information about each of these positions please click the links/see the information provided.
If you would like to apply for a position listed, or feel like you can bring value to our company in a capacity not listed, please fill out the information on the Job Application page and upload your resume and/or application.
LOCATION: Parris Island, SC
JOB TITLE: Food Service Worker / Mess Attendant
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt, Direct
JOB SUMMARY: Work under the direction of the Food Service Manager and Lead Supervisor. The Mess Attendant performs a wide variety of simple serving and cleaning tasks under general supervision. Performance is evaluated on compliance with instructions, accepted serving practices, customer service skills, and sanitary requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. A wide variety of manual tasks in kitchen or dining area of a food activity will be required, which involves light to moderate physical effort and is done according to established procedures. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Set up food on serving lines and portion food for individual servings in accordance with instructions and time requirements.
- Serve food to those in serving lines, re-fill cold bars, salad bars, pastry cabinets, condiments, juice dispensers, and set up dining rooms at an efficient pace.
- Make coffee per established procedures.
- Replace glassware, dishes, and silverware; as well as refill condiment containers.
- Remove dishes, glasses, and silverware from serving counters.
- Mix washing solutions and operate electric dishwashing machine; loading and unloading, and/or washing, by hand, dishes glassware, pots, pans, and kitchen utensils by hand.
- Maintain in a clean and sanitary condition: all equipment, utensils, work areas, tables, restrooms, exterior of buildings, etc; ensuring proper sanitization, cleaning processes, and procedures are adhered to, and standards reached.
- Empty trash containers, and manage waste and recyclables according to pre-established standards and procedures.
- Follow uniform requirements as prescribed in company rules and contract requirements.
- Maintain Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) logs, operate bio metallic and/ or digital thermometer.
- Maintain the Five Star Service standards for excellence
- Welcoming each and every customer, each and every time.
- Focusing on personalized experience.
- Delivering fast and friendly service.
- Providing a great quality product.
- Thanking each customer by name and inviting them back.
- All other duties as assigned
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Submit to and pass a cursory Criminal Background Check.
- A well-organized and self-directed individual who is a team player.
- An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization.
- Requires strong customer service skills
- Successful completion of high school, vocational school, or equivalent preferred.
- 6 months to 1-year food service related experience in a restaurant, cafeteria, or comparable food service establishment preferred.
- Must attend and complete all provided training, including, but not limited to, orientation training and chemical and cleaning solution use.
- Must demonstrate a basic knowledge of HACCP procedures.
LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a professional manner with customers.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, knee, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include, but are not limited to, close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
DISCLAIMER: The responsibilities/physical demands/work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position: Cook II
Reports to the Chief Cook
Cooks II works under the direction of the Chief Cook and Messhall manager. Cook II performs a wide variety of simple cooking tasks under general supervision, or performs difficult and complex cooking under supervision, usually in training for a full performance level cook position. Performance is evaluated on compliance with instructions, accepted cooking practices, sanitary requirements and quality and appearance of food served.
The ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. The ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to communicate with customer as required.
The ability to perform basic math skills, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to manipulate or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to communicate. The employee is occasionally required to walk, stoop, kneel, or crouch, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. However, while lifting amounts above 30 pounds a partner must be used. The employee is required to stand for approximately 80% of the time and will frequently be required to bend.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions within the work environment. While performing the duties of this job the employee is often exposed to wet/or humid conditions and extreme heat usually in excess of 90 degrees. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Follows standards of the regional master menu.
- Follows HACCP processes.
- Ensures storage of food and management of food storage in accordance with quality control guidelines.
- Maintains food production work sheets.
- Makes suggestions regarding menu adjustments.
- Read, comprehend, and follow recipes step by step.
- Prepares and cooks a full variety of meats, poultry, seafood, vegetables, soups, stew, broth, sauces and gravies while following recipe scale and methodology.
- In serving lines ensures food is served using the correct utensils and food portioning for individual servings.
- Makes recommendations for approval from management team to improve taste and/or appearance of food.
- Ensures products are prepared within quality control guidelines before serving to maintain freshness.
- Performs duties as a chief cook when required.
- Complies with all Sodexho safety procedures at all times.
- Required reports are completed in an accurate and timely manner, including HACCP and MCFMIS.
- Assembles and maintains equipment.
- Ensures that proper sanitization and cleaning processes and procedures are followed standards reached.
- Ensures Sodexo and client standard of customer service is met at all times.
- Complies with all Sodexo administrative requirements at all times
- Ensures that all Sodexo presentation standards are met at all times
- All other tasks as assigned
- Successful completion of high school, vocational school or equivalent.
- Two years of job related experience in a Commercial (Institutional), restaurant, cafeteria or comparable food service establishment.
- Must attend and complete all provided training including but not limited to culinary foundation, serve safe program, orientation and safety.
- Must be able to demonstrate extensive knowledge of HACCP procedures.